Juggling

I felt the urge to write this post because life has a tendency of complicating and when it does, we tend to feel alone in the process. This is a reminder to others like me that.. YOU ARE NOT ALONE. It puts me at ease to hear/read others’ stories and strategies to deal with their responsibilities without leaving aside the important aspects of life. As I have disclosed on some of my previous posts, I am a young single mother and I strive every day to be the best version of myself, for 1. myself and 2. my son. However; reality is not always as romantic as it sounds and some days I struggle to keep that goal in mind.

Finding balance between education and motherhood can be tricky, especially if the person is a highly dedicated student (here you have an overachiever) and a highly dedicated mother. To make things more interesting and fun, let’s add work and paying the bills to the equation, plus being an international student coming from a country with a severe socioeconomic crisis. These past few months I have had to deal with constant blows in the face and, even though I love life, I am exhausted ! I follow the principle that life moves on and you must move along with it, thus I focus on the present and keep on going, trying to juggle every ball thrown at me to keep the flow and excitement of the act.

After leaving an amazing talk from two ex-convicts about empowerment and giving meaning to life, I am incredibly inspired and would like to share with you some things that I have learned along the way and tips to keep life interesting when the clock is winning the race and you have not had a chance to take a shower !!! Parents out there, I know that you are guilty…

-Always be grateful.
I know that this sounds cliche, but I have found so much peace when I have allowed myself to take a couple of seconds to breathe and thank the Universe for the life that I have.

-Give yourself a chance to be outdoors.
There is nothing more healing for me than getting a breath of fresh air, actual fresh air! I am at peace whenever I am outdoors and even though I don’t always have the opportunity to fully engage with it, I make sure to at least go to my backyard and breath because.. The birds are talking and we must listen.

-Exercise
There was once a stage of my life where the only utility that I gave to exercising was to get in shape and have a smokin’ body. I never contemplated the act as an actual form of therapy and pure enjoyment and now that I have reached that point, I am never letting go… Which is utter bs because we all know that it takes a village to maintain that form of discipline; however, whenever I am very stressed out or feeling blue, I force myself to run for at least 30 minutes. I try to take as much advantage as I can of the resources that I have to break a sweat and release some endorphins. Trust me, as long as you don’t dehydrate in the process, you’ll feel better.

-Make time for the ones you love.
This is my favorite part and the saddest thing is that it is the one that I do the least. I am not proud of this aspect and I am trying to gain as much awareness of it as possible. It is so easy to get caught up in the routine and external responsibilities that without realizing it, you neglect what is most valuable to you. A couple of weeks ago I started noticing a change in my son’s behavior. He later complained to me that I was always working or studying and didn’t spend as much time with him as I used to. After that occasion, I make sure to take a weekly walk together and to be more present for him.

-Hug your loved ones…Or a tree.
There is nothing more soothing than a warm embrace… Trees are great too !

-Ditch the phone.
After having my son I decided to get rid of social media because I was more focused on it than actually taking care of him ! I decided to detox myself from all of it and have not been more pleased, I now know how to balance between life and social media and control the urge of opening Instagram, etc . Give it a try, you will have withdrawals, but it is worth it !

Writing this has been therapeutical and I would love, love, love to hear your stories and recommendations ! How do you juggle ?

Gaia
Gaia Co-writer theDIHEDRAL

24 thoughts on “Juggling

1. thedihedral says:

I love this “…I take a moment to appreciate the things that are right.” We definitely have many things going right in our lives but we ignore them when we are overwhelmed by the not so great ones.

Thank you for this !!!

Gaia.

Liked by 2 people

1. thedihedral says:

Thank you so much, I have a big smile on my face now ! To be able to inspire someone is more than and honor to me because I am the one who is constantly being inspired by others !

Take care !

Gaia

1. thedihedral says:

Thank you !!! As soon as I found out that I was pregnant, I knew right away that my love for Mother Nature was something that I wanted to share and pass on to him ! I am happy to say that he hugs trees and he loves it !

Gaia.

Liked by 2 people

1. karengoesoutside says:

For the past several days I have been thinking about this very topic. In fact, my next post is about finding the balance between responsibilities and following your dreams. I am the other side of 50 and I can tell you it never goes away, you’re continually rebalancing. Sometimes it feels like there just isn’t enough time for it all, but it sounds like your head and heart are both in the right places and you are making good choices. Teaching your child love for nature is one of the best gifts you will give him.

Liked by 2 people

2. curioussteph says:

Sounds like you are doing a fine job of juggling. I would also suggest that periodically you consider whether all the balls, rocks, etc you’ve been keeping in the air are worthy of the effort. From what you have said in your post about giving up social media, I suspect you already do this. I’ve found it useful to reassess every so often if I am indeed expending my time and energy in the way that seems best to me now–not what was “right” a while back or if someone else’s priorities have snuck in there.

3. Pangan7 says:

I read the post from the first word to the last one. I appreciate you. you are a really great mother. but as a boy! whom is the son of great mother, I am reminding you this fact that before being a mother, at first you are “a person”. mothers generally forget themselves to be the best for their children. but kids can grow up even better if they have less control and more independent. any way, I really enjoy your blog.

Liked by 2 people

4. WalkFrederick says:

I love the idea of going on a walk with your son in order to get quality time in. I should be more intentional about that.

I’m not sure how I juggle it all (or if I do!). Being the mom of 5 kids certainly can be challenging. I always try to put God first. That helps me get back on track and feel less overwhelmed.

5. kagould17 says:

You have figured out what is important and that is more than many people can achieve. Congratulations on your juggling skills. There is very little more important than spending time with the ones you love.