Guess Who?

For those of you who may be unfamiliar with the Myers-Briggs Personality Types, they come from Carl Jung’s theory of personality. Personality type is a combination of preferences from four distinct classifications.

1. How you interact with the world – Extraversion (E) or Introversion (I)
  2. The way you absorb information – Sensing (S) or INtuition (N)
  3. How you make decisions – Thinking (T) or Feeling (F)
  4. How you organize/deal with the world – Judging (J) or Perceiving (P)

The four letters that make up your personality type can help you to understand yourself and your interactions with others.

There are hundreds of different personality tests you could take on-line to indicate which psychological preferences lead to your personality type. The MBTI or Myers-Briggs Type Indicator is what most would consider the standard for personality testing, although I hear the Harry Potter personality test is gaining popularity as well (representing Ravenclaw).

So, here I devised a simple climbing personality test1 to see what kind of climbing personality you might relate to.

The test is simple select one of the two options from each personality dimension/trait (below) that describes you best (for example I turn out to be an INTP). Once you have your four letter climbing personality, scroll down to see the climbing description of your personality type. From there, scroll down once again to find your very own climbing personality card. Is that you locking off on that crimp? Looking good!

Slide1

Slide2

In addition to serving as your own personal personality card (feel free to cut out your card and place it in your wallet), you can use these cards to play a modified version ‘Guess Who’. Sure you can ask “Are they wearing glasses?” or some other description of a physical feature2, but now you can add to your inquiry “Are they an Introvert?” because psychological features can be just as telling as physical features (we are looking at you ‘Energizer’).

Find out who’s hiding in this climbing edition of ‘Guess Who’, find out a little about your friends, and most importantly find out a little about yourself!

We hope you have some fun. Let us know which climbing personality card you turned out to be.

-Carrot

img_0253
Carrot (Co-writer) theDIHEDRAL

1. In no way should this test be considered scientific or even realistic, personality testing is a useful scientific tool, which should be administered by a trained psychologist.
  2. This is perhaps my favorite ‘Guess Who’ meme of all time.

27 thoughts on “Guess Who?

1. Fred Heiser says:

I am clearly a solid INTP. I suppose that matches my solo & idiosyncratic hiking style. Sadly my joints don’t allow serious climbing, only occasional bouldering. Not sure what is meant by irregular beta, tho.

1. thedihedral says:

I wonder if a lot of Free Soloists are INTP, it just seems to fit the description. Thanks for the comment, now you’ve got me on a mission to find out the personality types of all those who free solo.

2. Eccentric Elayne says:

I’m an INFP, however I’m often on the ENFP/INFP border. I suppose I tend to keep to myself and reflect, but the right person can spark something in me 🙂
    I’m not a climber unfortunately however, haha. It’s only something I aspire to do someday. Thanks for the unique and fun post however.

3. Eccentric Elayne says:

I have certainly felt the urge!! I listened to a podcast last week with a couple of experienced climbers, they both had extensive experience with search and rescue on Everest. It was really inspiring and motivating. I spent some time on the Colorado mountains this spring, but that was the first time I’d fully experienced mountains in my opinion. Sadly I’m a Kansas native, so I know the flat ground better than anything.

1. thedihedral says:

I wish I knew more about Kansas, but I looked up some of the indoor climbing gyms, and your state has some nice ones, obviously not sure if there is one near you, but if so, my guess is that you would slay!

4. joeabbott says:

ISTJ – make a plan, keep a plan. I also enjoy getting out solo. Clever application of the MB test … thanks for posting.