For those of you who may be unfamiliar with the Myers-Briggs Personality Types, they come from Carl Jung’s theory of personality. Personality type is a combination of preferences from four distinct classifications.
- How you interact with the world – Extraversion (E) or Introversion (I)
- The way you absorb information – Sensing (S) or INtuition (N)
- How you make decisions – Thinking (T) or Feeling (F)
- How you organize/deal with the world – Judging (J) or Perceiving (P)
The four letters that make up your personality type can help you to understand yourself and your interactions with others.
There are hundreds of different personality tests you could take on-line to indicate which psychological preferences lead to your personality type. The MBTI or Myers-Briggs Type Indicator is what most would consider the standard for personality testing, although I hear the Harry Potter personality test is gaining popularity as well (representing Ravenclaw).
So, here I devised a simple climbing personality test1 to see what kind of climbing personality you might relate to.
The test is simple select one of the two options from each personality dimension/trait (below) that describes you best (for example I turn out to be an INTP). Once you have your four letter climbing personality, scroll down to see the climbing description of your personality type. From there, scroll down once again to find your very own climbing personality card. Is that you locking off on that crimp? Looking good!
In addition to serving as your own personal personality card (feel free to cut out your card and place it in your wallet), you can use these cards to play a modified version ‘Guess Who’. Sure you can ask “Are they wearing glasses?” or some other description of a physical feature2, but now you can add to your inquiry “Are they an Introvert?” because psychological features can be just as telling as physical features (we are looking at you ‘Energizer’).
Find out who’s hiding in this climbing edition of ‘Guess Who’, find out a little about your friends, and most importantly find out a little about yourself!
We hope you have some fun. Let us know which climbing personality card you turned out to be.
- In no way should this test be considered scientific or even realistic, personality testing is a useful scientific tool, which should be administered by a trained psychologist.
- This is perhaps my favorite ‘Guess Who’ meme of all time.