I was thinking about the “Now That’s What I Call” series and realized there should be a NOW! dedicated to climbing. I had to do a little research to make sure there wasn’t. There isn’t. But, along the way I did find out a few interesting details.
Did you know that there are over 1,227 NOW! music compilations world wide? Did you know that NOW! compilations have different versions in over 30 different countries? I thought that NOW! compilations were from the late 90’s and early 2000’s. Did you know that the first NOW! compilation was made in 1983, and the most recent one was released in 2020? If you’re wondering what the first track on the first NOW! was, then wonder no more…it was Phil Collins “You Can’t Hurry Love”. The video is worth the click just to see Phil Collins’ look alike backup “dancers”. If you’re wondering what the last song on the most recent NOW! is, then wonder no more! It’s called “Thank you Baked Potato” by Matt Lucas. This is a song about a baked potato giving social distancing advice and proper safety measures during the COVID-19 Pandemic. It’s not quite on the level of You Can’t Hurry Love, but it has a catchy rhythm and a positive message, so it goes!!!
While I’m in no position to create an actual NOW That’s what I call Climbing. I did make a Spotify playlist with songs that mention either climb, climbing, or mountains. It’s not totally exhaustive, but at the same time it’s not what you might consider totally enjoyable either.
Here’s a link, feel free to check it our and partially enjoy it. If you’d rather not, no worries, here are the songs that made the climb!
- Miley Cyrus – The Climb
- Rancid – Climb In (The Bottle)
- Mos Def, Vinia Mojica – Climb
- Fleet Foxes – The Cascades
- Rodgers and Hammerstein – Climb Ev’ry Mountain
- John Denver – Rocky Mountain High
- Led Zeppelin – Misty Mountain Hop
- Of Monsters and Men – Mountain Sound
- The Dubliners – Rare Old Mountain Dew
- Lionel Richie – Climbing to the Top
- Aretha Franklin – Climbing Higher Mountains
- The String Cheese Incident – Up the Canyon
- They Might Be Giants – Climbing the Walls